Soldiers drilling at Morphettville Camp.
History SA. South Australian Government Photographic Collection, GN01388
Australia did not have all the infrastructure required for the war, and some camps for enlisting soldiers were set up at racecourses. Morphettville Camp was one such camp, where soldiers trained and were housed before being deployed overseas.
The land was donated by Richard MacDonnell Hawker (1865-1930), well-known sportsman and pastoralist of Bungaree Station near Clare. He was also the owner of Morphettville Stud Farm, about 80 acres of land alongside the Morphettville Racecourse. Following the outbreak of war, Hawker made ‘a splendidly patriotic offer to the military authorities … for the free use of encampment of the expeditionary force… ‘(The Register, 13 August 1914).